Ok, so this recipe is a keeper. It has a lot of flavor and is made with things I keep around the house. It is also done all in one pot so it reduces the clean up!
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads or turmeric
- 2 teaspoons zest and 1 tablespoon fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 1 bunch curly kale, leaves cut into 1-inch ribbons, thick stems removed (about 4 cups)
- 3 cups homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups basmati or long-grain white rice
Season the chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until lightly smoking. Add the chicken and cook until well-browned on first side, about 6 minutes, then turn and cook until browned on the second side, about 5 minutes longer. Remove with tongs and set aside.
Turn the heat down to medium and add the shallots, stirring so they don’t burn, until just softened, about 30 seconds. Add the cumin, lemon zest, and saffron, and stir until fragrant, another 30 seconds. Stir in the kale, then add the broth and rice and stir together. Lay the chicken carefully on top and adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, then cover and cook until the chicken and rice are done, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the lemon juice and serve.