So I love a make ahead breakfast. I was attracted to this recipe because of all the veggies in it. While I enjoyed it quite a bit, it wasn’t a favorite of the hubs.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded potatoes, rinsed and well drained
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 3/4 cup finely sliced or shredded carrots (preferable a mix or orange, white and purple carrots)
- 1 cup zucchini, diced or finely sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 4-6 bacon strips, cooked and roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (optional)
- salt and pepper
Grease a 10″ cast iron skillet or a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
In a mixing bowl combine the potatoes, peas, carrots, zucchini, green onions, garlic, bacon and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
Arrange the mixture in the prepared skillet or baking dish.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the evaporated milk, pepper, and salt. Stir in the remaining cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the potato mixture.
Cover and refrigerate overnight or bake immediately.
Heat the oven to 350F.
Bake for 45 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.