I love when pork roasts are on sale. Seriously, love it. I have lately grown to love cooking them and knew I needed to make this recipe because I just love carnitas. I allowed it to marinade for a couple days because I kept getting too busy to cook it and it made it even tastier.
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2- to 3-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup lard
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Corn tortillas, warmed, for serving
- Chopped white onion, chopped fresh cilantro, salsa of choice, and lime wedges, for serving
Put the pork in a nonreactive Dutch oven or other large, heavy pot with a lid. Add the onion, garlic, sugar, salt, oregano, bay leaf, orange juice, and lemon juice and toss to coat the meat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours.