It is that time of year when I love a slow cooker soup. The original recipe called for andouille but I had some other sausage in the freezer that I opted to use. I love cooking dried beans in the crock pot too and it turned out tasty.
- 1 pound dried white beans (such as cannellini or great northern)
- 1/2 pound sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch collard greens, stems discarded and leaves cut into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the beans, sausage, onion, celery, and thyme. Add the broth and stir to combine.
Cover and cook until the beans are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
Twenty minutes before serving, discard the thyme stems, add the collard greens, cover, and cook until the greens are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the vinegar and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.