I love bulgogi. I love Korean BBQ in general but bulgogi is one of my favorite marinades. I have never seen it on pork before so when I saw this recipe I had to give it a try. I used pork chops because I had them around and they were super tasty.
- 2 pounds pork butt
- 6 medium scallions, white and green parts cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick coins
- 1/2 cup Korean chile paste
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seed oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Korean red pepper powder
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons sake or mirin
Place pork in the freezer for 45 minutes or until very firm. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick pieces; set aside.
Place remaining ingredients in a resealable bag or a nonreactive bowl and stir to combine. Add meat slices and marinate 1 hour or overnight.
Heat a gas or charcoal grill to high (about 400°F) and rub the grill with a towel dipped in oil. Remove pork from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature while the grill is heating, at least 20 minutes.
Remove pork from marinade and let excess drip off. Grill uncovered, turning rarely, until crispy and lightly charred, about 10 to 15 minutes total.