Short ribs in the crock pot are always the way to go. The cut of meat needs low and slow cookery and it doesn’t get lower and slower than a crock pot! This recipe was in no way spicy which surprised me because I left the seeds and ribs in.
- 4 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, and ribs discarded
- 2 cups boiling-hot water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 lb beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup brewed coffee
Pour the coffee and pureed chile mixture over the ribs in the crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours or low for 8-10 hours or until tender.