Even before we were half way through dinner, my husband told me we had to make this dish again. I will admit that I was surprised to find the right sausage up here but I managed to. It was super tasty and not hard to put together.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 pound merguez sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon ras el hanout
- 1 teaspoon Spanish sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 fifteen-ounce cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- 8 extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro, stems included
- 2 tablespoons harissa (optional)
- Warm crusty bread, for serving
In a large (12-inch) pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occassionally, until golden, then add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the merguez sausage slices and cook for a few more minutes, until almost cooked through.