Someday I will learn to make potato gnocchi but until then I will be happy to continue to make ricotta gnocchi. I actually like it better sometimes as it is lighter. I made this recipe as a side dish to fish and it was very tasty.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, preferably Italian
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 pound full fat Ricotta cheese (see note above)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, Divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- Grated parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly torn basil, and extra-virgin olive oil for serving
In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering, then add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add 2 tablespoons chopped basil, stir, and cook for 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Season to taste with more salt and pepper as desired.