One of the greens we are growing in our deep water culture is broccoli rabe. We also have quite a bit of Italian sausage from the caribou we got this summer. This recipe was simple and very tasty. One to keep for the future.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Italian-style chicken or pork sausage
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, coarse stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated with a Microplane (about 2 teaspoons)
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 cups homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups whole wheat or regular dried orecchiette
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed juice and 1 teaspoon zest from 1 lemon
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)
- Homemade or store-bought breadcrumbs
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it apart, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer sausage to a plate. Add broccoli rabe and sautée until just beginning to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add to plate with sausage. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat. Add the garlic and pepper flakes (if using) and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.