I love a slow cooked soup. I love tomato soup when making sandwiches so I decided to do an adaption for this recipe. By adding in Parmesan rinds when cooking, the flavor becomes really deep and rich.
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced onions
- 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
- 1 T dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ bay leaf
- ½ cup flour
- 4 pieces of Parmesan rinds
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
In a crock pot add celery, onions,carrots, parm rinds, basil, oregano, bay leaf, tomatoes, and chicken broth. Cook over low heat for at least 6 hours.
While soup cooks, prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat, add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add back into crock pot.
Simmer, stirring constantly, until soup begins to thicken. Stir sour cream, salt and pepper. Continue to cook until at desired consistency.
Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy!