This recipe is something I made because I had every ingredient in my pantry and freezer. The flavor is good but as I have mentioned before, whenever I come across a recipe that calls for a bread crumb topping, it made way too much.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced or grated with a Microplane
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- Pinch of dried red chili flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock or store-bought, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups lacinato (Tuscan) kale, stems removed and leaves cut into 2-inch ribbons
Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the breadcrumbs and toast them, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon thyme, and the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer. Transfer breadcrumbs to plate and set aside.