Bland bland bland. That’s about the only way to describe this dish. There is no flavor at all, mostly because the recipe calls for no seasoning other than salt and pepper. Go Italian and add oregano, thyme and parsley or go Mexican with cumin, coriander and cayenne but don’t make it the way it’s written.
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ pounds ground sirloin
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¾ cup reduce-fat sour cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 425°F. Meanwhile, whisk together cornmeal, ½ cup flour, baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt in a medium-sized bowl. In a second bowl, whisk together the remaining two tablespoons of flour and ⅔ cup of water. Set both bowls aside.