I was putting together a few freezer friendly meals for the hubs to take on his hunting trip and I came across this recipe. Super simple to put together, freezes well and really easy to reheat over a camp stove. The meal went over well and they ate it over some frozen (and then reheated) rice.
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut crosswise into thirds
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, oregano, cumin, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Nestle the steak among the vegetables. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
Using two forks, shred the beef and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice and top with the avocado and cilantro.