I had a jar of preserved lemons in the fridge. I had bought them for a recipe that called for a quarter of a preserved lemon and there was no way for me to only buy that much. I started looking for recipes in order to use them up and came across this. There are a lot of strong flavors in this dish which worried be. However, paired with chicken the flavors melded well and were not at all overpowering. The artichoke hearts were a bit mushy and could possibly be added part way through cooking.
- Whole chicken, quartered
- 1 preserved lemon, rinsed, seeds and insides removed, rind chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sweet or hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large pinch saffron
- 1 1/2 cup frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
Preheat oven to 425 F. In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix well.
Arrange in a baking dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is done.