As it says on the original recipe, MAKE SURE TO GREASE YOUR CROCKPOT FIRST. I cannot stress this enough. Also, the recipe says to cook on low for 7 hours. I did low for 3.5 and then let it switch to warm while I slept so that it wouldn’t overcook. I sleep more than 7 hrs on the weekend and didn’t want it to burn. I enjoyed the flavor and the apples really cooked down and darkened the oatmeal.
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 apple, grated (approx. 1 cup grated);
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional garnishes: toasted sliced almonds, maple syrup, additional almond milk or butter
Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker.
Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.