This recipe was phenomenal. I had everything at home (it called for kale but I had turnip greens that were frozen from my garden) and it was simple to put together. Great flavors. The mashed potatoes were great and it all just melded together.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage links, casings removed and broken into pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 large russet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 small bunch turnip greens
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for serving
Combine the sausage, onion, tomatoes and their juices, tomato paste, garlic, 1 cup water, turnip greens and ¾ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Nestle the potatoes in the liquid.
Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
Transfer the potatoes to a medium bowl. Add the sour cream, oil, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper to the bowl and mash.