OH MY GOODNESS!!! I found a mac n cheese that I really liked that wasn’t from a blue box. This took more effort than I like for a crock pot meal but it turned out great. My edges were too crispy so I may cut back on the high heat cooking time. I found the recipe here.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- One 12 oz can evaporated milk (I used skim, evaporated milk keeps the egg and milk from curdling)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled to room temp
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups (12 oz) shredded cheese (I used an Italian blend)
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni or mini penne tubes, par cooked and drained (this means cook them for about five minutes until tender but not completely cooked)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, reduce the temperature to LOW and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until custard is set in the center and the pasta is tender. The macaroni and cheese may sit in the cooker on the KEEP WARM setting for 30 minutes before serving. Before dishing it up, I sautéed some bread crumbs with olive oil and sprinkled them over the top to make it a little fancier.