I was drawn to this recipe because it called for Jiffy Corn Bread mix. I love that stuff. It is hands down my favorite corn bread. Weird huh? This is from Rachael Ray’s 30-Minute Meals.
- 2 tsp each ground cumin and chili powder
- 4 shakes Red Hot sauce
- 1.5 lb beef-tip steak, thinly sliced
- 1 box Jiffy corn bread mix (for which you will need 1 egg and a little milk)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium yellow-skinned Spanish onion, peeled and chopped
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 bunch fresh thyme (I used dried)
- 2 tbsp butter
Rub cumin, chili powder and Red Hot into the steak.
Preheat over to 375. prepare Jiffy mix according to directions on box. Spoon mix onto a greased cookie sheet in six 4-inch rounds – you are making corn bread ;ids for your soup bowls. Place in over and brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Heat a big nonstick skillet till hot. Cook stead 3 minutes on one side, 2 on the other. Remove from heat and let rest.
Reduce heat to medium-high. Add olive oil. Saute the bell pepper and onion for 5 minutes, until onion begins to color around edges. Dump in the tomatoes and a palmful of the chopped thyme.. Cut steak into bite size pieces and drop into pan. Drop heat to low.
Take the remaining thyme leaves and place them in a small bowl with butter. Microwave butter and thyme on high for 20 seconds. Brush the corn tops with the thyme butter. Scoop beef mixture into bowls and top each bow with a corn-crusted top.