This dish was awesome. So much so that I forgot to take a pic until I reheated some today! I love that the sauce was super thick and had a bite to it with the red pepper flakes. This came from Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals.
- 1/4lb pancetta, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- A couple shakes crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, minced or grated
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano (I used dried)
- A palmful chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lb penne, cooked until al dente
In a big skillet or frying pan, brown pancetta over medium heat. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Wipe out pan (I don’t do this and use the grease rather than oil for more flavor).
Add olive oil, garlic and crushed pepper to pan. Heat until garlic speaks. Add onion. Cook 5 minutes to sweeten onion. Add tomatoes and herbs. Stir in reserved pancetta. Heat through and reduce heat to low. Simmer until pasta is cooked, drained and ready to serve. Combine sauce with pasta in hot pot and dump onto serving platter.