Chili and I have a love hate relationship, ok more like a Hate Hate relationship. I am just not a chili fan. I keep trying more and more recipes (just like I do with homemade mac n cheese) but I never really like them. This one was one of the better ones I have had because it was served over pasta with lots of cheddar cheese. It came from Rachael Rays 30 Minute Comfort foods.
- 1 1/2lbs lean ground sirloin
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow-skinned onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 14oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 to 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 6 drops Red Hot or Tabasco sauce
- Coarse salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb elbow pasta cooked until al dente
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack, cheddar or smoked cheddar cheese
- Chopped tomato and scallions, to garnish
In a deep frying pan or sauce pot, brown ground sirloin in olive oil over medium-high heat. add onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add crushed tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until ready to serve.
To serve, combine cooked, drained pasta with chili. Top chili mac with cheese, if you like. Sprinkle with chopped tomato and scallions.