This came from a cookbook I picked up off a clearance rack because the cover was interetesting. Its call Big City Cooking. This was super simple to make (especially if you buy the dough) and tasted delicious. I wish it had made more.
- 3 slices bacon, preferable Niman Ranch
- ¼ Recipe pizza dough (I bought premade at the store)
- 2 tbsp cornmeal
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing dough
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato thinly sliced (use an heirloom tomato, if available) (I used a regular)
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup shredded fresh buffalo mozzarella, or substitute regular mozzarella (I used fresh and it was way too moist)
- ½ bunch arugula
- 1/8 tsp dried red hot pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 550 or as high as your over will allow. Set out a pizza stone, or oil a baking sheet
Heat a medium skillet over medium0high heat and cook the bacon slices until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a round shape with a diameter of about 10 inches. Sprinkle the cornmeal over the pizza stone or oiled baking sheet, cover approximately the area the pizza dough will cover. Place the dough over the cornmeal and brush the surface of the dough with olive oil.
Arrange the tomato slices over the dough and season lightly with salt. Spread the cheese over the tomatoes. Break the bacon slices into small pieces and sprinkle over the cheese. In a small bowl, toss the arugula with 1tsp of olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Arrange the arugula over the pizza and bake until the crust is nicely browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with pepper flakes, season with pepper, and serve immediately.