This is the second of the two meals I prepped for my sister-in-law. The Spicy Chicken and Rice Bake is from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. This was really simple to put together. I added in some extra water, as I knew it would be reheated and I didn’t want it to dry out.
- 2.5 to 3lb meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs and drumsticks)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup tomato juice (I mixed 2/3 cup tomato sauce with 1/2 cup water as I had sauce on hand and wanted it a bit looser as I knew it would be reheated)
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
Skin chicken, set aside
In a large saucepan cook onion, sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in black beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato juice, corn, uncooked rice, chili powder, red pepper and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to boiling. Transfer rice mixture to a 3-qt rectangular baking dish. Arrange chicken pieces on top of rice mixture. Sprinkle chicken with paprika.
Bake, covered, in a 375 degree over for 45 to 50 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is tender.